Server communication error: peer not authenticated

We see the error when we try to authenticate with the eCatcher software. it asks for the account, username and password. We click log in and it tries to connect but comes back with that error. We installed the latest version of eCatcher and same issue.

I then installed the same version of eCatcher (whatever the latest download is) on my laptop and tried and it authenticated. The laptop is on a different network. I was then able to then connect to the remote cosy 131 using the laptop.

I am not sure what the firmware of the cosy is but the issue seems to be between the PC and authentication server(s) before we connect to the device.

It sounds like something on the PC or Network is blocking a connection to our Access Server. Check you firewall and any other security software on the PC to see if it is something local.

If it is the network blocking access you will most likely need to talk to your IT department to get them to open up access.

You can find the hostname and IP address for our access server at the following post: Server communication error: peer not authenicated.

Deryck

Is this possible even though the Talk2M Connection Checker says everything is ok?

Depending on what is causing the issue the connection checker can pass but ecatcher will fail. For example if you firewall is blocking ecatcher but allowing the connection checker.

When you ran the checker did you sign into your account?

Deryck

Didn’t see anything to sign in just ran it and it runs its test. We disabled the firewall on the PC and same issue.

On the second page you should see a check box saying you have a talk2M account. Checking that box and entering in your credentials will also ensure you can log into the access server. Other wise the test only checks if you can look up the hostname and ping the IP.

I will test and report back. thanks

They ran the talk2mConnection checker test with the account information and it passes. They double checked the firewall and it is good. So the only thing that isn’t working is the actual ecatcher. Is there certificates or anything that may be old?

You would need to be on a really old version to have expired certificates. You could try downloading catcher again to make sure that is not the issue.

Would you be available for me to connect to your PC over Teamviewer?

Probably not. I will see and get back to you.

If you upload the logs I can take a look at those and see if that give me any indication into what the issue is. From the login page go to setting and generate a zip file that you can upload.

Deryck

Hi Deryck, see attached for the logs. Let me know if you see anything.

The logs are showing traffic is being blocked to our Access Server over https (port 443).

To check if it is your PC or the network can you connect your PC to another network and give it a try. Using your phone as a hotspot is a good test since it is not likely to be blocking anything.

Deryck

Can you point me to where in the logs is says it is blocking port 443?

Is it odd that the connection checker tool works and says all is good but the logs say traffic is being blocked?

Thanks.

@Jeremy_Olson

It definitely is a bit counter-intuitive that the connection checker works however eCatcher does not. The specific section that we are using in that diagnosis would be found in the eCatcherError.log file the following lines:

2018-04-25 15:50:35,144 ERROR - Exeption Handled :Server communication error : peer not authenticated
biz.ewon.talk2m.ecatcherPro.business.exception.DisplayableException: Server communication error : peer not authenticated

The above error that I have outlined explicity means that eCatcher could not properly access/authenticate with eCatcher. The reason this occurs in 99% of scenarios is due to a firewall restriction preventing access to our server. Now while we believe it is in relation to a port restriction, it could absolutely be an address issue, a network applicance altering the SSL certificates thus invalidating them or any number of other issues.

As opposed to jumping to the most complex cause first however, it is best to begin with lets check that the network is not restricting the traffic to our server via the port or address.

When you tested from your pc (running the connection checker) was it on the exact same internet connection as the eWON (no secondary connections)? The connection checker can be a bit misleading sometimes as it simply verifies that traffic can get through, not that a connection is fully achievable.

1 Like

We have now tested it two ways on the same PC. We have tested the PC by bypassing the network (tethered it to a phone) and the connection was fine. This would make me think that any certificates on the PC itself are OK. The firewall guys are adamant that the ports are open and there are no IP restrictions on those ports.

I have attached the guide I sent them. Is this the latest?

Can you expand on some of the more complex causes?

Thanks.

Used Ports and IP adresses.pdf (119 KB)

@Jeremy_Olson

To confirm, when connected via a hotspot the connection works fine however connecting via the network fails? If that is the case then this is 100% an issue in the IT network.

The best server information can be found in the following thread:

You are correct. I will forward this web link to their IT support. Thank you.

A post was split to a new topic: Server communication error in eCatcher

Topic closed due to inactivity.